I hope you spend a few moments exploring the website of the Portland Children's Levy.
Because of the generosity and support of Portland residents, the Levy reaches 10,000 of the city's neediest children and families each year through:
- Early childcare, parenting education and access to health screenings and immunizations that help children arrive at kindergarten healthy and prepared to succeed;
- After-school and mentoring programs that keep children in school and out of trouble;
- Child abuse prevention and intervention programs that help struggling parents avoid family violence and build community connections.
- Programs that help kids in foster care succeed.
- And in Spring 2014 we will be begin funding programs to help alleviate childhood hunger.
Accountability is important: 95 cents of every dollar goes directly to programs helping children throughout the city and administrative costs are kept to 5 percent. The Levy is annually audited and all programs must demonstrate they are cost effective and achieve positive results for children.
The Portland Children's Levy is committed to building a safer and stronger city by giving hope and opportunity to its children.