I hope you spend a few moments exploring the website of the Portland Children's Levy.
Because of the generosity and support of Portland residents, the Levy reaches 10,000 of the city's neediest children and families each year through:
- Early childhood education, quality preschool programs and parenting education so children arrive at kindergarten healthy and prepared to succeed;
- After-school and mentoring programs that keep children in school and out of trouble;
- Child abuse prevention and intervention programs that help struggling parents avoid family violence and build community connections;
- Programs that help kids in foster care succeed through educational support and mentoring and enrichment activities.
- Programs to relieve childhood hunger through delivery of healthy and nutritious meals and expansion of on site meal programs.
Accountability is important: 95 cents of every dollar goes directly to programs helping children throughout the city and administrative costs are kept to 5 percent. The Levy is annually audited and all programs must demonstrate they are cost effective and achieve positive results for children.
The Portland Children's Levy is committed to building a safer and stronger city by giving hope and opportunity to its children.